The most important thing in our car is Battery. We should always take care of our car battery otherwise a day will come when our car will not crank with key. So it is very important to know how to care for a car battery and how to clean battery terminals smoothly.
Not only of taking care of a car battery but also take care of all those batteries which are available in our home. Good care of the battery not only increase battery’s life but also save our lots of money.
The main function of a car battery is to provide power while cranking and other electrical equipment fixed in the car. Corrosion is the main culprit that damage our battery and ultimately reduce its life.
A car expert suggests us to do regular preventive maintenance of a car to run the engine smoothly for miles and it is the only way to increase the car’s overall life. The same funda is also applicable to a car battery or other batteries. If you know how to clean car battery terminals — and when to do this — You will easily extend battery life.
That’s why we are here with How to clean the battery terminals guide and if you have any doubt in it then contact us. We will be happy to help you.
Why you should know how to clean battery terminals?
Everyone should know how to clean battery terminals if you are having a car, bike or other autos. It will help you in the future and it will make you powerful.
Suppose you are going for a picnic for long-distance and in the mid of your trip if your car gets off and does not start. After having a visual inspection of battery you have noticed that your battery terminals are corroded.
Now it is the time to use your power or knowledge of cleaning terminals. Not only you bring yourself from trouble but also save lots of time during the trip.
If you know the correct process of cleaning the terminal. Then you can easily find out that your car service provider is doing it properly or not. So knowledge is power and we must acquire that power in our life.
Precautions to take before or while cleaning battery terminals
- Never touch both battery terminal with single tools (do not short terminals). Otherwise, you will get a heavy spark and your battery may damage.
- Wear both work gloves and safety glasses before disconnecting battery terminals or its cover.
- Always remove the negative terminal first and after that positive terminal.
- Make sure that your hand tool does not touch with the car body while removing the negative terminal.
- While connecting battery after cleaning to the car, make sure you first connect positive terminals and after that negative terminal.
- Do not touch the cleaning agent with your naked hands.
How to clean car battery terminals?
Follow given below steps to clean car battery terminals easily and we hope that you would not need to go to professional for such a small task.
- First of all, find out where the battery is installed in your car. It is the simplest step to do. If still, you fail to find out then refer to the car owner’s manual.
- Once you find out the battery, they do a visual inspection. If your battery is bloated or leaking then do not go for the cleaning. You must buy a new battery and install that one.
- If your battery is ok. Now you have to disconnect the battery terminals cable one by one. Again do visual check if terminals are corroded then follow the given below method[How to clean corroded battery terminals].
- Take a cleaning agent i.e. Baking soda and mix it with water and make a clear solution.
- Dip your brush into the solution and scrub both terminals properly. Remove all the dust and unwanted material from terminals.
- Rinse off the cleaning agent properly from both terminals properly. Remove moisture from terminals and make sure they are properly dry and clean.
- Now apply petroleum jelly on car battery terminals for better lubrication. This will help terminals from corrosion in the future.
- Reconnect battery again to crank the car. First, connect the positive terminal and after that negative terminals.
How to clean corroded car battery terminals?
If you are car battery terminals or battery compartment are heavily corroded then you should follow this method. By this method, we can easily clean battery terminals easily.
- Wear protective gloves (made up of rubber or insulating material).
- Disconnect both battery terminals (first negative terminal and then positive terminal) along with complete battery components.
- Bring out it from the car and put it on a plastic bag or clean surface.
- Clean the battery with a cloth and try to remove loosen corrosion or dust.
- Pour a good quantity of white vinegar into a cup.
- Put a cotton swab into white vinegar and clean battery terminals and body.
- After removing corrosion. With the help of clean water, wipe out vinegar from battery terminals and body using cotton swap.
- Dry battery completely using a cloth and make sure there is no moisture on battery terminals.
- Now connected battery with your car and crank your car. Enjoy your car.
Conclusion: Final words
We hope that you understood how to clean battery terminals or clean corroded battery terminals also. If you still facing any problem then let us know and we will happy to help you.
If you want to add some new points in any of the subtopics of this article then we welcome you. Our main aim is to keep our car up to the mark and it should always look like new with awesome performance.